FEARLESS INTERVIEWING: How to Win the Job by Communicating with Confidence (pdf) by Marky Stein
Have you ever fell jittery before an interview? Nervous or even terrified? Have you ever wished you had answered a question differently or negotiated your salary more skillfully? Do you panic when you imagine the possibility of “failure”? Do you just want to make sure you get it right the first time?
Let’s face it. Interviews are not like normal conversations. Being interviewed can he scary, even for ordinarily outgoing people. When you’re silting in the hot seat, the interviewer is an authority figure, and he or she has all or most of the power in the interview.
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
Guess what? Studies show that more than 60 percent of interviewers have never been trained in the task of interviewing. Most of these managers report that they feel “nervous, anxious, confused, stressed” and even “incompetent” when taking on the responsibility of conducting a job interview.
Now that you’re reading Fearless Interviewing, take another look at who’s being trained and who’s not!
It’s likely that you’re actually going to be more prepared for the meeting than the Intenlewer.
Think again. Now who holds the power? By the end of this book, you’ll find that you too have control over what goes on at the interview, especially when you learn to harness your fear into excitement, energy, and enthusiasm. To make this transformation you’ll need to learn the techniques of fearless interviewing.
Here’s how one of my clients. Christine, used fearless interviewing to turn her timidity into power.
Introduction: Why Are Interviews So Scary?
Chapter One: An Assault against Anxiety
- The Most Common Interview Fears
- Strategy versus Memorization
- Interviewing Can Be Fun!
Chapter Two: Building Your Skills Arsenal
- Assessing Your Skills
- General Skills
- Job-Specific Skills
- Personal Traits
- Your Gift
- Skills Summary Page
Chapter Three: Q Statements: Your Secret Weapon
- What Is a Q Statement?
- Quality or Quantity?
- Let’s Get Specific
Research: What Separates the Hired from the Not Hired
- An Interview Is Like a First Date
- Why Research a Company?
- All the Information Is Right at Your Fingertips
- How to Get Your Hands on a Computer
- Company Web Sites
- Company Mission Statements
- Company Culture
- Targeting Your Skills to the Company’s Needs
- Use Your Iibrary Card as a Job Search Tool
Chapter Five: Winding Up Your Strategy
- The Presentation Packet
- The Preinterview Checklist
Managing the First Twenty Seconds of the Interview
- First Impressions
- Facial Expression
- What to Wear
- Your Handshake
- Your Greeting
- Your Attitude
- You Passed the Test!
Chapter Seven: Answering Interview Questions
- Straightforward Questions
- Questions behind Questions
- Stress Questions
- Illegal Questions
- Questions to Ask the Employer
- Stalling and Accessing
- Handling Questions in Nontraditional Interviews
- Group Interviews
- Body Language
Chapter Eight: Negotiating Your Salary
- The Negotiating Challenge
- Common Fears about Negotiating
- One Job, Two Different Salaries
- The Four Bargaining Factors
- Open-Door Negotiating
- The Salary Discussion
- Benefits and Your Total Compensation Package
- Creative Negotiations
Chapter Nine: Following Up: Juggling Multiple Offers
- Focus Letters
- Follow-Up Calls
- Multiple Offers
Chapter Ten: Sample Interviews
- Jerry Aronson, Marketing Manager
- Sarah Auschansky, Information Technology Engineer
- Kei Soto, Director of Launch Operations
Chapter Eleven: Practice Questions
Size: 1.16 Mb
Free download ebook FEARLESS INTERVIEWING: How to Win the Job by Communicating with Confidence by Marky Stein