How to be Healthy at 100 ?
Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World’s Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples / JOHN ROBBINS
Every young man,” wrote Ernest Hemingway, “believes he will live forever.” And the same could be said for every young woman. But whatever our beliefs and thoughts about life, there remains an undeniable and ever-present fact: We are, each and every one of us, growing older. This is true in every country and among every people throughout the world, but the way different cultures have responded to this reality has varied widely.
For many of as in the industrialized world today, our aging is a source of grief and anxiety. We fear aging. The elderly people we see are for the most part increasingly senile, frail, and unhappy. As a result, rather than looking forward to growing old, we dread each passing birthday. Rather than seeing our later years as a time of harvesting, growth, and maturity, we fear that the deterioration of our health will so greatly impair our lives that to live a long life might be more of a curse than a blessing.
There are many people today who want to live in harmony with their bodies and the natural forces of life. You may be one of them. If so, it’s helpful to understand that you are not alone, and that you have elders from whom you can learn how to accomplish your goals. There are cultures whose ways have stood the test of time that can stand as teachers on the path of wellness and joy.
There are whole populations of highly spirited, vigorous people who are healthy in their seventies, eighties, nineties, even healthy at a hundred. What’s more, they have a great deal in common, and their secrets have been corroborated and to a large extent explained by many of the latest findings in medical science. New research is showing that we have all the tools to live longer lives and to remain active, productive, and resourceful until the very end.
This is good and hopeful news. It offers us a much-needed paradigm of aging as a period of wisdom and vitality. Through these healthy cultures, we can find a compelling vision of how to mature with pleasure, dignity, purpose, and love. We are being shown that something precious is possible—a far brighter lliture in which aging is enjoyable and desirable. And we are being shown the practical steps we can take to achieve it.
PART I: ТНE WORLD’S HEALTHIEST AND LONGEST-LIVED PEOPLES
- Abkhasia: Ancients of the Caucasus ~ Where people are healthier at ninety than most of us are at middle age
- Vilcabamba: The Valley of Eternal Youth ~ Where heart disease and dementia do not exist
- Hunza: A People Who Dance in I heir Nineties ~ Where cancer, diabetes, and asthma are unknown
- The Centenarians of Okinawa ~ Where more people live to 100 than anywhere else in the world
PART 2: OUR FOOD, OUR LIVES
- Eat Well, Live Long / What is the optimum diet for human beings?
- Nutrition and the Health of Humanity / The price we pay for processed food
- The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition liver Conducted / Why a plant-based diet can save your life
- The Road to Health and Healing / What you need to know to thrive on a whole-foods, plant-based diet
PART 3: THE BODY-MIND CONNECTION
- Stepping into Life / What is as important as diet?
- Born to Move / Why your cells and your bones crave a challenge
- Keeping Your Marbles / Simple things you can do to prevent Alzheimer’s
- Confident and Clear-Thinking / Breaking the stereotypes of aging
PART 4: WHY YOUR LOVE MATTERS
- What’s Love Got to Do with It? / The healing power of relationships—new evidence that stuns even the skeptics
- The Strength of the Heart / Why loneliness will kill you faster than cigarettes
- How Then Shall We Live? / Today’s choices for tomorrow’s health
PART 5: THE HUMAN SPIRIT
- Breaking Tree from the Cultural / Trance The real news on this planet
- Grief and Healing / Can this wisdom survive?
- Death and Awakening / Finding the true fountain of youth
Format: ebook PDF
Size: 2 mb
Read Online: Healthy at 100 by John Robbins