It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want To Be
It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want To Be by PAUL ARDEN
Just as Sun Tzu’s Art of War is read as a lesson in business strategy rather than fighting in a military sense, or Machiavelli’s The Prince is written about government but used as a guide to management, so this book uses the creative processes of good advertising as a metaphor for business practice.
Nearly all rich and powerful people are not notably talented, educated, charming or good-looking. They become rich and powerful by wanting to be rich and powerful. Your vision of where or who you want to be is the greatest asset you have. Without having a goal it’s difficult to score.
- Why do we strive for excellence when mediocrity is required?
- So how good do you want to be?
- You can achieve the unachievable.
- ‘I want to be as famous as Persil Automatic.’
- Have you noticed how the cleverest people at school are not those who make it in life?
- Do not seek praise. Seek criticism
- It’s all my fault
- Do not covet your ideas
- Don’t look for the next opportunity. The one you have in hand is the opportunity
- Accentuate the positive
- Eliminate the negative
- Do not put your cleverness in front of the communication
- Don’t promise what you can’t deliver
- Know your client’s aims
- What do you do when your client won’t buy?
- Don’t take no for an answer
- When it can’t be done, do it
- If you don’t do it, it doesn’t exist
IF YOU CAN’T SOLVE A PROBLEM, IT’S BECAUSE YOU’RE PLAYING BY THE RULES
- The person who doesn’t make mistakes, is unlikely to make anything
- ‘Fail, fail again. Fail better.’
- It’s wrong to be right
- It’s right to be wrong
- Don’t be afraid of silly ideas
GIVE YOURSELF SOME SPIN
- Play your cards right
- It’s not what you know
- It’s who you know
- Don’t give a speech. Put on a show
- Getting fired can be a positive career move
AND NOW FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK
- Doing a layout means having an idea
- Compose your ad from the weakest point
- Rough layouts sell the idea better than polished ones
- If you get stuck, draw with a different pen
- Suppliers are only as good as you are
- Don’t be afraid to work with the best
- Get out of advertising
- Do not try to win awards
YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE CREATIVE TO BE CREATIVE
- How you can make your company great
- How a senior manager can make a big difference
- How a junior account handler can make a big difference
- How a media buyer can make a big difference
- What is meant by the word ‘creative’?
- How to improve your strike rate
- My finest hour
- Notes from the pulpit. Life’s creative circle. Wit and wisdom
Size: 21.6 Mb
Free download Paul Arden: It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want To Be