The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders is a valuable source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about mental disorders and their treatments. This collection of approximately 400 entries provides in-depth coverage of specific disorders recognized by the American Psychiatric Association (as well as some disorders not formally recognized as distinct disorders), diagnostic procedures and techniques, therapies, and psychiatric medications.
In addition, entries have been included to facilitate understanding of related topics, such as Advance directives, Crisis housing, and Neurotransmitters. This encyclopedia minimizes medical jargon and uses language that laypersons can understand, while still providing thorough coverage that will benefit health science students as well. Entries follow a standardized format that provides information at a glance.
Rubrics include: Disorders / Definition / Description / Causes and symptoms / Demographics / Diagnosis / Treatments / Prognosis / Prevention / Resources / Medications / Definition / Purpose / Description / Recommended dosage / Precautions / Side effects / Interactions / Resources
The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders has been designed with ready reference in mind.
- Straight alphabetical arrangement of topics allows users to locate information quickly.
- Bold-faced terms within entries direct the reader to related articles.
- Cross-references placed throughout the encyclopedia direct readers from alternate names, drug brand names, and related topics to entries.
- A list of key terms is provided where appropriate to define unfamiliar terms or concepts. A glossary of key terms is also included at the back of Volume II.
- The Resources sections direct readers to additional sources of information on a topic.
- Valuable contact information for organizations and support groups is included with many of the disorder entries.
- A Symptoms list at the back of Volume II has been included not for diagnosis but to reveal patterns in symptoms and disorders and to provide a starting point for research or discussion with a health care provider.
- A comprehensive general index guides readers to all topics mentioned in the text.
The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders contains 100 illustrations, photos, and tables. A color insert in each volume has been included to enhance certain photos shown in the text in black and white.
Pages: 1189 Language: English Size: 8.5 mb Format: PDF