How to Stubbornly Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable About Anything
How to Stubbornly Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable About Anything—Yes, Anything! by Albert Ellis pdf
Hundreds of self-help books are published every year, and many of them are truly helpful to millions of readers. Why bother to write another?
For several important reasons. Although Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) is now a major part of the psychological scene today, and although most modern therapists (yes, even psychoanalysts) include big chunks of it in their treatment plans, they often use it in a watered-down, wishy-washy way.
More specifically, this book has the following goals—which you will find presented, all together, in any other book about acquiring mental health and happiness.
• It encourages you to have and to express strong feelings when something goes wrong with your life. But it clearly distinguishes between your feeling healthily and helpfully concerned, sorry, sad, frustrated, or annoyed and your feeling unhealthy and destructively panicked, depressed, enraged, and self-pitying.
• It shows you how to cope with difficult life situations and how to feel better when you are faced with them. But, more important—much more important—it demonstrates how you can get better as well as feel better when you needlessly “neuroticize” and plague yourself.
• It not only teaches you how you can control your emotional destiny and can stubbornly refuse to make yourself miserable over anything (yes, anything!), but it also specifically explains what you can do to use your potential for self-control.
• It will help you achieve a profound philosophic change and a radically new outlook on life instead of a Pollyannaism “positive thinking” attitude that will only help you cope temporarily with difficulties and will often defeat you in the long run.
• It gives you many techniques for changing your personality, which are not backed merely by anecdotal or case-history “evidence,” but which have now been proven to be effective by scores of objective, scientific experiments that were conducted with control groups.
- 1 – Why Is This Book Different from Other Self-Help Books?
- 2 – Can You Really Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable About Anything?
- 3 – Can Scientific Thinking Remove Your Emotional Misery?
- 4 – How to Think Scientifically About Yourself, Other People, and Your Life Conditions
- 5 – Why the Usual Kinds of Insight Won’t Help You Overcome Your Emotional Problems
- 6 – REBT Insight No. l: Making Yourself Fully Aware of Your Healthy and Unhealthy Feelings
- 7 – REBT Insight No. 2: You Control Your Emotional Destiny
- 8 – REBT Insight No. 3: The Tyranny of the Shoulds
- 9 – REBT Insight N0.4: Forget Your “ Godawful” Past!
- 10 – REBT Insight No. 5: Actively Dispute Your Irrational Beliefs
- 11 – REBT Insight No. 6: You Can Refuse to Upset Yourself About Upsetting Yourself
- 12 – REBT Insight No. 7: Solving Practical Problems as Well as Emotional Problems
- 13 – REBT Insight No. 8: Changing Thoughts and Feelings by Acting Against Them
- 14 – REBT Insight No. 9: Using Work and Practice
- 15 – REBT Insight No. 10: Forcefully Changing Your Beliefs, Feelings, and Behaviors
- 16 – REBT Insight No. ll: Achie\ing Emotional Change Is Not Enough—Maintaining It Is Harder!
- 17 – REBT Insight No. 12: If You Backslide, Try, Try’Again!
- 18 – REBT Insight No. 13: You Can Extend Your Refusal to Make Yourself Miserable
- 19 – REBT Insight No. 14: Yes, You Can Stubbornly Refuse to Make Yourself Severely Anxious or Depressed About Anything
Language: English Format: PDF online Pages: 215 Size: 1 Mb